The Meryl’s product selections are curated by the editorial team. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission, at no cost to you. We only recommend products we genuinely love.
Vegetable soup is an easy and delicious way to get some great nutrients in your day. It’s great when it’s cold outside, but I love soup year-round. This one is hearty and filling and comes together in less than 45 minutes.
I grew up with my mother making vegetable soup. Well, sometimes she’d toss in a little beef and still call it vegetable soup, but I digress. There is something about this soup that feels a bit nostalgic. Growing up in Wisconsin, one pot hearty meals were a staple growing up, and so I am flooded with memories of my childhood hometown whenever I whip this up.
My mother uses fresh veggies, but I make this with a combination of fresh and frozen. Fresh sweet potatoes, garlic and onions; frozen carrots, corn, green beans and peas. Fresh or frozen will work - whatever is easiest - both are nutrient-dense, comforting and tasty.
I like this on its own and with a slice of cornbread or garlic bread on the side. This is great for meal prepping - make a batch and separate into smaller servings (I store in mason jars) for simple lunch or dinner to give you one less thing to worry about during the week. One pot makes about 8 generous servings.
Before You Start, make sure you have the right sized pot. A Dutch oven works best. (I used a 7 qt cast iron dutch oven.)
Here’s What You’ll Need
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil - just enough to saute half an onion
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 small sweet potatoes (chopped into large chunks)
- 20 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 15-oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups broth (I used chicken broth but vegetable or beef would be good, too.)
- Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute (Mrs. Dash also works. Basically, it gives you a bunch of seasonings in one concentration without additional salt.)
Let’s Make It
What I love about this recipe is that you can make small changes to suit your diet to make something yummy everytime. Add white potatoes or change up the broth or even add noodles - so many options. Here’s how to make this version:
Gather all of your items and prep all the fresh vegetables
Add oil to the pot on medium heat and cook (stirring often) celery, garlic and onions together until the onions are translucent
Add the sweet potatoes and frozen mixed vegetables to the pot
Add in canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and broth
Add a pinch of salt and pepper and about 2 tsp Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute
Stir well to combine
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low
Cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender
Alternative Cooking Methods
- Crockpot – Toss everything into the slow cooker, stir and cook on low for eight hours or high for four hours.
- Instant Pot –Toss everything into the instant pot and stir. Place the lid on and lock then seal the pressure valve. Set the pot on manual mode for 10 minutes on high. Let the pressure release naturally.
Storing the Soup
Let me know if you make it.