I love myself a holiday and get excited about our warm-season ones where the sky lights up with fireworks, sundresses and flat sandals are encouraged, menfolk stand watch at the grill, and the food and gossip are aplenty. Ah yes...Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. When everything in the U.S. turns red, white, and blue and paper plates and paper towels are the norms.
I love a festive dessert to go with the occasion. It needs to be easy because the last thing you want to do when everyone is line dancing is stand in front of a hot oven or stove.
Here are a few tried and true fun and yummy options that you can serve in your home or take with you to a cookout. Kids and adults love them. Any of these will have you cookout or holiday-ready!
- 1 (12-oz) container frozen whipped topping
- 1 (14-oz) can sweeten condensed milk.
- 1 (5-oz) package cream cheese, softened
- Angel food cake broken into bite-sized pieces (HINT: buy a pre-made angel food cake from the grocery store to make this even easier)
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced.
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, washed.
- Trifle dish (or large clear bowl) There are a lot of options.
In a bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Layer cake, custard and fruit until you get to the top, ending with the cream and berries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 1 box cake mix (I like yellow, but any flavor will work.)
- 3 large eggs*
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil*
- 1 (16 oz) container of white frosting
- Red, white, and blue sprinkles or jimmies
- Red, white, and/or blue cupcake liners
Make the cupcakes according to the instructions on the box and bake in liners. Cool cupcakes and frost each. Adorn with the sprinkles.
*Check your box to make sure you have the right ingredients.
Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 10-oz package regular size marshmallows (about 40) or 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- Red and Blue food coloring
- Star-shaped cookie cutter
- Optional: Red, white and blue sprinkles or jimmies
Divide the ingredients and make two batches of treats - one red, one blue.
In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Add ½ bag of marshmallows and stir until completely melted. As stirring, add blue food coloring until you have the desired color. (Start with 4 drops.) Remove from heat. Add 3 cups of cereal. Stir until well coated.
Repeat, using red food coloring instead of blue.
Using a buttered spatula or wax paper, evenly press each mixture into separate square cake pans coated with cooking spray. If desired, press sprinkles/jimmies onto the top. Cool.
Using a cookie cutter, cut into stars.
- 1 container fresh strawberries
- 1 container fresh blueberries
- 1 package of skewers
- Optional: 1 package mini marshmallows
Wash the fruit and remove stems. Slide the fruit onto the skewer using whatever pattern you like. You can always add marshmallows for a pop of white or to protect the pointy end of the skewer.
Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 box of ice cream sandwiches
- Red, white, and blue sprinkles/jimmies
- Optional: popsicle sticks
Roll each ice cream sandwich in the sprinkles and freeze. Voila - magic!
Leave a Comment